Monday, October 5, 2009

Fight for the Cure

Today is one of those days where the weather is nasty, my hair is drenched, and im pretty sure i stepped in every puddle from my class to my apartment.
I am praising God though because the weather is getting cooler and on my walk home i passed by several windows decorated for Paint the town Pink.
October is Breast Cancer awareness month and it always holds a special place in my heart.
This time of year i go on a spending spree and by every pink ribbon object in sight and do the race for the cure.  I feel so passionately about this because it is an awful disease that comes without warning and effects so many loved ones.

A strong, courageous women who is like my second mother has been battling breast cancer for a couple of years now.  She has been through chemotherapy, pills once a day, and radiation.
  I do not know much about the details of her cancer but i do know that through it all she has smiled.
Smiling is something i believe can cure.
When you face something so ugly with a smile and laughter it shows that you are in the fight.
Mrs. Vicki is always the person that is so fun to be around and the person with the strongest faith i know.
Her faith in God grows deeper and deeper each day and she is not afraid to question others faith and decisions.
She is strong in the Lord and I admire that most.
I took piano lessons form Mrs. Vicki for about 5 years.  In those five years i learned how to play "Mary had a Little Lamb" and that was it!
It wasn't because she was not a good teacher it was because instead of doing our lesson we were drinking surge, playing in the treehouse, and going for rides on her golf cart!
Those are some of my greatest memories of growing up.  She taught me that life is short and we should have the most fun possible while we are here.
 She taught me to trust the Lord with everything and never to let go of the faith i have in Him.
I thank God each day for putting Mrs. Vicki into my life and for granting her such wisdom and courage to fight breast cancer.
On October 17th i will run in the Race for the Cure in honor of Mrs. Vicki and cannot wait to display her name proudly across my back and run in a time of prayer for her.

I am so thankful that people are taking the time to recognize such a horrific disease by setting aside an entire month to honor those who fight Breast Cancer.
I am challenging myself this month to wear pink each day and to dedicate my life to raising awareness to the cause.

You can support breast cancer awareness by going to the following sites and purchasing, donating, clicking the pink button to raise money for mammograms, or by simply reposting a message about Breast Cancer and getting your friends and family involved in something that targets so many.







For a list of brand names that are selling pink products and donating to the cause go to this article:



Little Rock, Arkansas Race for the Cure

Indianapolis Race for the Cure



Charleston, South Carolina Race for the Cure

I cannot wait to be amongst this group of people showing support!


2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (NLT)
That is why we never give up.  Though our bodies are dying our spirit is being renewed everyday.
For our present troubles are small and won't last very long.  Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever.
So we don't look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen.  For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.





 

4 comments:

  1. I made my appointment today! I didnt even know this month was breast awarness...Nice to meet you too~

    ReplyDelete
  2. so i kept wondering why all the streets were all breast cancer stuff. and now i know i feel like an idiot!!
    btw. your blog is amazing. and totally sweet.
    becca.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica I really enjoyed reading your blog. Thank you for sharing this and I also want to thank you for your dedication to finding a cure for breast cancer. Mrs. Vicki is so special and those "piano lessons" have given you alot of wonderful memories and has provided us with alot of laughs. I love you Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess - What a heart you have for this! The Lord has used you today to remind me how far-reaching breast cancer is and how many walk through it everyday. I'm thanking Him for you today because He has found in you one who is willing to walk alongside.
    I love you Jess! Ms. Vicki

    ReplyDelete